Current location

> Infomation > Immigration Guide

General information

Enlarge Font Size Reduce Font Size Print
Who is Refugee?
  • A "Refugee" refers to an alien who is unable or unwilling to avail him/herself of the protection of his/her country of nationality owing to well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion; or who, not having a nationality, is unable or, owing to such fear, unwilling to return to the country of his/her former residence (hereinafter "the country of habitual residence") prior to entry into the Republic of Korea.(Article 2 (1), Refugee Act)
How do I apply for Refugee status?
  • Where must I apply for refugee status? 
    - If you are within the territory of the Republic of Korea, you must submit the application to the Chief of an Immigration Office (hereinafter Office Chief), Head of an Immigration Branch office (hereinafter Branch Head), or Director of an Immigration Processing Center.
    - If you are at a port of entry to enter or land into the Republic of Korea, you must apply for refugee status to the respective Office Chief or Branch Head during entry inspection.

  • When must I apply for refugee status?  
    - If you are within the territory of the Republic of Korea, you may apply for refugee status regardless of how long you stayed in the country.
    - If you are applying for refugee status at a port of entry, you must submit the application "during the immigration inspection".

  • What documents must I submit to apply?  
    - Application for Recognition of Refugee Status
    - Your Passport (However, if the passport is unavailable due to compelling reasons (e.g. to escape from an immediate danger of your life and body), a statement explaining the reasons can replace the passport)
    - Documents explaining why your claim for refugee status should be granted
    - 1 Identification photo (35 x 45mm)

< posted : 01/07,2013 >


Immigration Contact Center 1345
로고 외국인을 위한 전자정부


  • Join, Reserve Visit, Immigration Related Information : 1345 (FAX : (02)2650-4550)
  • Recruitment / Employment Related Informationtion(Ministry of Labor) : 1577-1350