Simplified Naturalization (Marriage)
- Must be legally adult according to the Korean Civil Law
- Must have good conduct
- Must have the ability to maintain living on his/her own assets or skills; or is a dependent member of a family capable of the feat.
- Must have basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture
Additional requirements (according to Nationality Act Article 6-2-1 and 6-2-2)
- Foreign spouse of a Korean national who:
- The individual as follows whose spouse is the Korean
- For the past 2 (or more) consecutive years, maintained marriage status with the spouse and kept residence in Korea
- For the past 3 (or more) consecutive years, maintained marriage status and have spent more than 1 year in Korea.
- The first day of stay is the day you finish your foreigner registration, after having entered Korea with the proper visa
Domestic residential Requirements
The domestic residential requirements are as follows for the applicant for naturalization according to Article 5 of Nationality Act Regulations.
- The residential period of naturalization applicants is defined as the continuous period of time spent in Korea after legal entry and foreigner registration. However, the following time spent overseas will be considered as part of their stay in Korea. However, this does not include time spent outside Korea
- If the departure was made after receiving their re-entry permit, before the expiration of their current permission to stay; while re-entering before the date specified.
- If they had to temporarily depart Korea to extend their stay, then re-entered Korea within 1 month with a new visa.
- Nationality Department of Immigration Office
- Check the Immigration Office available for application → Click!!!
- Applicants must participate with the spouse and prove that the normal marriage status is maintained. However, should unforeseen circumstances prevent it, it is possible to substitute that with the spouse’s identification
-In the event of the said unforeseen circumstances, applicants must prove the fact (Ex: Diagnosis Certificate in case of recuperating in the hospital)
- Naturalization Application from
: Attach 1 color photo (4cm x 5cm)
- After filling out the form, submit a copy of the first page
- A copy of Passport
- A Statement for Citizenship Application
- Prepare the Statement of Identity / A copy of Statement of Identity with photo attached
- Family registration, basic registration, marriage certificate and resident registration transcript of the Korean spouse
- Financial document (to verify the ability of the applicants, or their family, to maintain themselves):
- Bank Balance containing more than KR30 million in the name of the applicant or the family
- Lease contract or Estate registry equivalent to KR30 million
- A Certificate of Incumbency (Attached the copy of Employer’s Business Registration certificate )
- Certificate for the employment expected (Financial guarantee not allowed)
- For the self-employed, A copy of Business Registration Certificate and store lease contract
※ If verification of the financial status is impossible, the document of the financial status of relatives (Attached Guarantor’s Legally Affixed and financial documents)
- Other materials to prove the fact that the marriage status is maintained
- Ex) Photo, Statement of people around, Letters exchange before the marriage etc.
- Proving documents of parents, spouse, children, marriage status or adoption of person who applied for naturalization
- Documents issued by government of People's Republic of China proving the person who applied for naturalization is Korean Chinese when his/her name is written in Korean pronunciation not in Chinese pronunciation
- In case that the person who applied for naturalization specifies the date of birth newly, a certificate proving this fact issued by Embassy or consulate's office of their original country.
- Fee: 300,000 KRW (Government Revenue Stamp)
< posted : 10/16,2008 >