> Infomation > Immigration Guide

Naturalization (General,Simplified, Special)

Enlarge Font Size Reduce Font Size Print
Special Naturalization (Underage foster children)
General requirements
  • Must have good conduct
  • Must have basic knowledge befitting a Korean national; such as understanding of the Korean language, customs and culture
Additional requirements (Nationality Act. Article 7-1-1)

- Foreigners that meet general requirements and also apply to the following:

  • Foreigners whose either parent is of Korean nationality, except foster children who were adopted after they have become adults according to the Korean civil law
  • Underage at the time of adoption
  • Based on the fact that at least one of the foster parents is a Korean national, the applicants are eligible for special naturalization. Since special naturalization does not require that applicants spend a certain amount of time in Korea, applicant may apply for naturalization straight after entry.
    ※ Adopted adults cannot apply for special naturalization, and must apply for naturalization after legal residence in Korea for 3 or more consecutive years.
    ※ If a Korean national adopts underage children of their foreign spouse, applies for their naturalization, but later decides to cancel the adoption, they must first report to the local family registry office.
Application Center
  • Immigration Office of Nationality department
    - View Immigration Offices currently accepting applications → Click!!!
Required Documents
  • - Items subject to change depending on individual circumstances.
    - Documents written in foreign languages need to be translated in Korean and notarized. Notarization will be exempted only for English and Chinese. (In this case, you must record name and contact number of translator.)
  • Naturalization application form download Naturalization Application Form.hwp download Naturalization Application Form.pdf download Naturalization Application Form.doc : attach 1 color photo (4cm x 5cm)
    - After filling out the form, submit a copy of the first page
  • A copy of the passport: Present with the original
  • Adoption particulars report (Composed by the father or the mother)
  • A full copy of Chinese population certificate: Present with the original (only applicable to Chinese)
  • Family registration, basic registration, and adoption certificate (that shows adoption and marriage records) of the Korean stepparent
  • Proving documents of parents, spouse, children, marriage status or adoption of person who applied for naturalization
  • Documents issued by government of People's Republic of China proving the person who applied for naturalization is Korean Chinese when his/her name is written in Korean pronunciation not in Chinese pronunciation
  • In case that the person who applied for naturalization specifies the date of birth newly, a certificate proving this fact issued by Embassy or consulate's office of their original country.
  • Notice download Notice.hwp download Notice.pdf download Notice.doc
  • Fee: 300,000 KRW (Government revenue stamp)
< posted : 10/15,2008 >


Immigration Contact Center 1345
로고 외국인을 위한 전자정부


  • Join, Reserve Visit, Immigration Related Information : 1345 (FAX : (02)2650-4550)
  • Recruitment / Employment Related Informationtion(Ministry of Labor) : 1577-1350