> Infomation > Immigration Guide

Certificate of foreigner registeration

Scope of Foreigner Registration Certification and Eligibility Where to Apply / Required Documents
Enlarge Font Size Reduce Font Size Print
Scope of Foreigner Registration Certification
  • The certification will be issued only to foreigners that have registered in compliance with the procedures under Immigration Control Act
  • When related laws require a national ID card or a resident registration in various procedures and transactions, Domestic Residency Card / Certificate, foreigner registration card or foreigner registration certificate can be substituted instead.
  • If foreigners’ registration expires due to permanent departure, death, or if they are staying illegally, certification will not be issued. However, provided that the record of termination is available through foreigner registration information system, certification can be issued as a former visitor.
Those eligible for Foreigner registration Certification
   The scope of applicants is limited as below pursuant to Personal Information Protection Act by Public Institutions
  • Subjects themselves, their legal representative, or those assigned by the subjects.
    - Even direct family members must be given power of attorney from the subjects in order to apply in their stead (except when subjects are dead or missing)
  • Spouse of the subject or ascendants or descendants
    - Only if subjects themselves cannot express their intent because they are dead or missing.
    - Or, if the application will benefit the subject, then it is deemed equivalent to those made when subjects are dead or missing (i.e. termination of mobile phone etc.)
    - In the cases mentioned above, the person on behalf of the subject must submit appropriate support documentation. (i.e. billing statement of a mobile phone etc.)
    ※ The certification must only be used for the purpose stated.
    - If billing statement of a mobile phone is submitted, the certification must be used only for “termination of service of the mobile phone”. Not for any other purposes.
  • Those that have employed the subjects (foreigners), or their representatives
    - Only if the subjects departed for good.
    - If their departure cannot be confirmed due to termination of the employment or subject’s whereabouts becoming unknown after they registered as a foreigner upon employment, then it is possible to apply for certification which proves departure or entry until that time..
  • Others that Ministry of Justice deems necessary to be certified for public interest.
    - Only if the purpose of issuing is related with public interest, and the executive agencies, municipality, or public entities (limited to public entities under the Clause 2 of “Personal Information Protection Act by Public Institutions and the Clause 2 of its regulations) requests the applicant to submit the certification for the purposes of enforcing its. 
< posted : 02/01,2008 >


Immigration Contact Center 1345
로고 외국인을 위한 전자정부


  • Join, Reserve Visit, Immigration Related Information : 1345 (FAX : (02)2650-4550)
  • Recruitment / Employment Related Informationtion(Ministry of Labor) : 1577-1350