> Infomation > Immigration Guide

Change status of stay

Changing Status of Stay Manual of sojourn for all visas
Enlarge Font Size Reduce Font Size Print
Procedure of Change of Residence status
Procedure of Change of Residence status
Change of Status of Stay
  • Foreigners must receive permission to change of status of their stay if they want to participate in new activities which is not relevant or permitted for current status
General Principles
  • As a general rule, foreigners seeking to participate in activities not permitted under their current status must first depart from Korea, obtain a new status that corresponds with the desired status, then re-enter Korea with the newly obtained status and status.
  • However, should it be possible to meet the requirements for the new status without having to depart from Korea, limited change of status can be made upon passing a rigid examination.
  • To see what is required by each status, click on status table on the top of this page.
Application Period
  • In order to engage in activities not permitted by the current status of stay, a permission to change the status must be obtained from the local Immigration Office prior to engaging in the said new activities.
  • A-1, A-2 and A-3 status holders seeking to change their status of stay due to change in their position/duties must receive permission for change of status of stay within 30 days of the said change.
How to apply for permission for change of status of stay
  • Present the Required documents to the local Immigration Office (may be applied by an appointed agent)
Examples of when one would need to apply for change of status of stay
  • A C-2 status foreigner wants to invest(D-8) in Korea
  • A D-3 status foreigner wants to get a job(E-8) after 1 year training
  • A D-4 status foreigner wants to study in Korea(D-2)
  • Foreigners who married Korean wants to change residence status of stay(F-2) (applicable regardless of residence status of stay)
< posted : 02/01,2008 >


Immigration Contact Center 1345
로고 외국인을 위한 전자정부


  • Join, Reserve Visit, Immigration Related Information : 1345 (FAX : (02)2650-4550)
  • Recruitment / Employment Related Informationtion(Ministry of Labor) : 1577-1350